Ecocide from Man-made Radiation
Back to: Practical Advice
To: Science: Plant and Animal Electromagnetic Sensitivity
ECOCIDE: A devastating ecological crisis:
Man-made wireless radiation kills plants and animals
"The further deployment of phone masts has to be stopped."
- Man-made wireless radiation kills and injures plants and animals, as has long been known, according to numerous peer-reviewed studies .
- The spread of cellphone towers, especially 4G, is turning this spread of man-made radiation into a growing ecological crisis affecting many of the inhabited zones of Earth.
Some reports which illustrate the severity and importance of this crisis, if mankind is to save most species now found on Earth, are as follows.
See "Science: Plant and Animal Electromagnetic Sensitivity" for lists of studies on each aspect.
- Birds disappear: 4G and Wifi
"When the main town of Vathi on the Greek island of Samos was upgraded to 4G, sometime in late 2014, the birds on the mountain near the cell towers began to disappear gradually. By late 2016, there were virtually no birds left on the mountain at all except for the occasional raptor and even more occasional small bird: a single chaffinch where there were flocks, an occasional robin. In other areas such as the town center, where there is public Wi-Fi, all the sparrows disappeared. A protected area to the south of the island, site of a former salt works and gifted with large reed beds, began to lose its bird life when local hotels installed Wi-Fi. Now a huge communications tower dominates the landscape, the area is 4G, and the birds have almost all gone. All that is left is enormous flocks of crows."
- Trees and plants: climate change
"Worldwide, tree die-off will be a huge driver of climate change."
"Greece has a huge diversity of wild plants; there are some 6,000 varieties of wildflower, many unique, more than anywhere else in Europe except Spain. If EMR is killing the trees, it will sooner or later affect these as well."
Diana Kordas: "Birds and Trees of Northern Greece: Changes since the Advent of 4G Wireless" (2017: an eye-witness account of the devastating annihilation of ecological systems in parts of Greece and Egypt.)
- Danger to trees worldwide: cellphone towers must be stopped
"The occurrence of unilateral damage is the most important fact in our study and an important argument for a causal relationship with RF-EMF, as it supplies evidence for non-thermal RF-EMF effects. This constitutes a danger for trees worldwide. The further deployment of phone masts has to be stopped."
Waldmann-Selsam C et al: “Radiofrequency radiation injures trees around mobile phone base stations” (2016)
- Chris Arsenault: "International court to prosecute environmental crimes in major shift" (Thomsom Reuters Foundation, September 15 2016)
- Lorenzo Brenna: "Environmental destruction is now a crime against humanity" (trans., October 3 2016)
- "Convention on the Prohibition of Military or any Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques" (1976)
- Criminalising Ecosystem Destruction (Eradicating Ecocide)
- Falk RA: "Environmental Warfare and Ecocide – Facts, Appraisal, and Proposals" ("Bulletin of Peace Proposals", 1973, vol.1)
- Gray MA: "The International Crime of Ecocide" (Calif Western Internat Law J, 1995)
- "Human Rights Consortium launches project to investigate Ecocide as an international crime" (School of Advanced Study, University of London, 2012)
- Polly Higgins: "Ecocide, the 5th Crime Against Peace" (TEDxExeter, 2012, 19 min.)
- Polly Higgins: "Ecoside Law: Proposed Amendment to the Rome Statute" (eradicatingecocide.com, 2015)
- Institute for Environmental Security
- International Committee of the Red Cross: "Practice Relating to Rule 45. Causing Serious Damage to the Natural Environment"
- Juliette Jowit: "British campaigner urges UN to accept 'ecocide' as international crime" (The Guardian, April 9 2010)
- Sharon Lerner: "100,000 Pages of Chemical Industry Secrets Gathered Dust in an Oregon Barn for Decades — Until Now" (The Intercept, July 26 2017)
- Reynard Loki: "Our cellphone addiction is turning wireless tech into an invisible weapon that’s destroying wildlife" (Salon, July 14 2018)
- The Poison Papers
- Westing AH: "Arms Control and the Environment: Proscription of Ecocide" (Bull Atomic Scientists, 1974)
- The United States and Jordan noted that for those States party to the 1976 ENMOD Convention, the following principles of international law provide additional protection for the environment in times of armed conflict:
"The 1977 Convention (ENMOD) prohibits States parties from engaging in military or any other hostile use of environmental modification techniques (i.e., any techniques for changing – through the deliberate manipulation of natural processes – the dynamics, composition or structure of earth, its biota, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere, or of outer space) having widespread, long-lasting or severe effects as the means of destruction, damage or injury to any other State party."
- (Memorandum, annexed to a letter to the Chairman of the Sixth Committee of the UN General Assembly,
September 28 1992)
Power consumption for wireless and digital devices
There are concerns that the world will need ever greater energy resources simply to provide power for the data centers supporting wireless and digital devices. This need for energy could be a significant contribution to global warming.