Specific Impairments and Symptoms
Typical Impairments and Symptoms include:
- disturbed sleep
- heart palpitations
- pains and tingling in limbs
- blurred vision
- see fuller list to right
Impairments and Symptoms can be:
- delayed, by hours or days
- short-term or acute
- long-term or chronic, especially for neurological and cancer effects
Impairments and Symptoms often occur:
- immediately after electromagnetic exposure, e.g. headache or muscle spasm, when someone nearby switches on their cellphone (conscious, acute)
- over minutes and hours of low-level electromagnetic exposure, e.g. growing memory loss, tiredness or headaches after an hour or two in WiFi radiation (conscious, chronic)
- perhaps 12 to 16 hours after heavy exposure, e.g. nausea, dizziness, muscle failure or cramps hours after being present in heavy usage of cellphones or radio mike exposure (conscious, delayed acute)
- over months or years of frequent electromagnetic exposure, e.g. neurological and cancer effects like muscle wasting, degenerative conditions or skin and tissue tumor growths, from domestic cordless phones, power line cables, cellphone towers, neighbor's WiFi (conscious or subconscious, chronic)
Impairments and Symptoms depend on:
- genetic factors
- presence of metals in the body (e.g. mercury dental amalgam restorations, cardiac pacemakers, metal plates and pins, tatoos with metallic colors)
- previous exposure
- adaptation of the body to stress from environmental toxins
- other sources of stressors (e.g. chemical sensitivity)
Electrosensitivity is a Functional Disability causing Impairments, not an Illness or Disease
- Electrosensitivity is a disability impairing the person's ability to function fully in society.
- Electrosensitivity is a functional impairment to an environmental problem.
- Electrosensitivity is therefore similar to functional disability caused by impaired access for a wheel-chair user, or by impaired access for a deaf, blind or chemically intolerant person.
- Electrosensitivity, like other environmental intolerances, defines the toxic pollution in the environment as 'ill' or 'diseased', not the person, who is perfectly health when the toxic pollution is removed.
Electrosensitivity is an Intolerance, not an illness or disease
- Electrosensitivity is primarily an intolerance, not a disease.
- The specific Impairments and symptoms of Electrosensitivity are typical of systemic intolerance or allergy reactions, not diseases.
- There is no known virus or bacteria associated with Electrosensitivity.
- Electrosensitivity is not communicable and cannot be transmitted to other people.
- The 'illness' is in the environment, which is 'sick' for the person intolerant of the toxic pollution produced by electromagnetic exposure.
- Electrosensitivity is thus typical or other environmental Intolerances, such as to chemicals, foods, light, sound etc.
- People with Electrosensitivity are perfectly healthy outside of a polluted environment where they react with impairments or symptoms to the toxic electromagnetic exposure.
- Some people's Electrosensitivity is caused by another illness, such Multiple Sclerosis, or by a combination of factors, such an environmental electromagnetic pollution and the presence of metallic dental restorations, metallic implants in the body or metallic-based tattoos.
Professor Olle Johansson on Electrosensitivity
Dr Erica Mallery-Blythe on Electrosensitivity and EM exposure
Nicola Bijlsma: "Electrical Hypersensitivity" (2012, 13 minutes)
Dr Ashwini Setya: "Feeling Wonky? You Might Be Coming Down With Smartphone Sickness" (The Quint, March 2016)
Alasdair and Jean Philips: "Electrical Hypersensitivity, a Modern Illness" (2007 edition; see also: Powerwatch: "Electrical Hypersensitivity")
Impairments and Symptoms can be:
- delayed, by hours or days
- subconscious: sometimes people with ES are asymptomatic (have no conscious symptoms) even though their body still reacts to the electromagnetic exposure
Few accurate surveys of the prevalence of ES and EHS in the general population have been conducted.
For conscious symptoms:
- perhaps under 1% are affected severely
- 2% to 4% are affected significantly
- up to about 40% are affected in smaller ways, such as disturbed sleep within 500 meters of a cellphone tower.
For unconscious affects:
- about 5-10% of the general population can be affected adversely with cancers and neurological diseases depending on duration and intensity of exposure
- about 40% of adults, i.e. those with chronic immune diseases, are adversely affected.
Karvala K et al.: “Prevalence of various environmental intolerances in a Swedish and Finnish general population” (Environ Res. 2017, PMID: 29161654)
ES Specific Impairments and Symptoms
A fuller list:
- headaches, general and sharp pains, migraines
- disturbed sleep, light sleep, unable to get to sleep, waking early fully awake
- heart palpitations and arrhythmia, racing heart, slow heartbeat
- anxiety, depression, anger, mood swings
- pain and tingling in limbs
- blurred vision, 'gritty' eyes
- ringing in the ears, tinnitus
- short-term memory loss
- concentration loss
- nausea, dizziness
- asthma attacks, coughs
- sinus problems
- muscular weakness, muscular failure
- acne, skin rashes, brown patches
- urinary urgency, bladder problems, smelly urine
- digestion and stomach problems, diarrhoea
- increased sensitivity to:
List of specific symptoms (1978):
Dwyer & Leeper: "A Current Literature Report on the Carcinogenic Properties of Ionizing and Nonionizing Radiation,"
DHEW Publication (NIOSH) 78-134; (1978).
Disturbed sleep at night
Sleepiness in daytime
Feelings of fear
Pulling sensation in the scalp and brow
Loss of hair
Pain in muscles and heart region
Increased perspiration of extremities Difficulty with sex life
Disruption of the endocrine-humoral process
Intensification of the activity of thyroid gland
Exhausting influences on the central nervous system
Decrease in sensitivity to smell
Increase in histamine content of the blood
Changes in specific symptoms after >6 years of exposure among 73 persons
(Dwyer et al.,1978):
% <6 years - % >6 years -
Headache 21 33 57
Disturbance of sleep 14 23 64
Fatigue 12 18 50
General weakness 7 12 71
Disturbance of memory 6 8 33
Lowering of sexual potency 6 8 33
Drop in body weight 3 12 300
Disturbance of balance 6 11 83
Neurological symptoms 0 15 x 15
Changes in ECG 18 29 61