Replacing WiFi and Bluetooth
back to: Practical Advice
Introduction: the need to remove WiFi radiation
WiFi can cause electrosensitivity symptoms, and is a known class 2B cancer agent. It is particularly bioactive for two reasons: (a) it has low frequencies such as 10Hz as well as its microwave carrier frequency of 2.45 or 5 GHz, and (b) it is very strongly modulated at up to 100 times, much stronger than cellphone signals.
It is therefore essential to eliminate WiFi from your environment or reduce it as much as possible.
The need to eliminate WiFi especially applies to children, pregnant women, the elderly, sick people and people particularly sensitive to this type of radiation. One WiFi router can reduce its radiation by 70% to help protect pregnant women.
- Alice Gastinger: "A precautionary tale about Wifi" (Natural Medicine New Zealand, 2012)
- Alliance for Natural Health: "Exclusive: Parents take steps to remove children from UK primary school over wi-fi risks” (ANH, July 2015, about Sarah and Will Mockett who removed their children from a local school in England)
- Ashland Public Schools: Best Practice (reducing cancer and neurological radiation from WiFI and cellphones, 2014)
- Bandara Pet al: “Letter to the Editor [Wifi exposure in Australian schools]” (Rad Prot Dosimetry, 2017)
- Brian Spero: "Is Wi-Fi in Schools Safe? Putting EMF exposure on your radar of potential health risks" (Boston Parents Paper, August 2015)
- Cecelia Doucette: "Dangers of WiFi: Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3Episode 4, Episode 5" (with Keith Marciniak, 2016, 18 to 32 min per Episode)
- Channel 10: "WIFI In schools - Ch10 - 30/08/2016" (Israeli TV, 5 mins)
- Catherine J Frompovich: "Get Microwave-Transmitted WI-FI Out Of Schools—Use Hard-Wired Connections Instead" (Activist Post, May 14 2017)
- Debra Fry: "Why die for Wi-Fi? My child did - will yours?" (Towards Better Health, May 3 2016)
- Prof. Lennart Hardell: "Doctor Who Stood Up to Monsanto & Declared Agent Orange Carcinogenic Cautions on Wireless" (2017: Ban wireless in schools)
- Prof. Lennart Hardell & Michael Calberg: "Regarding: Wireless technology should not be used in schools or pre-schools due to health risks for children and employees" (letter to Andrew Zuckerman, CEO Montgomery County Schools, Rockville, MD, USA, November 30 2015)
- Karl Maret: “WiFi Dosimetry in a School: Preliminary Observations” (Electromagnetic Health, June 22 2015, 10 minutes, comparing the levels of WiFi radiation at a coffee shop with much higher levels in a school where peaks matched headache symptoms in an EHS pupil)
- Lee Rickwood: “Awareness Campaign Needed on Cellphone Use, Wi-Fi Radiation Risks amid Conflicting Government Reports” (What’s Your Tech, Canada, July 30th 2015)
- Lisa Nagy: "Allergic to Wi-Fi?" (The Doctors TV, 2016, 5 min.)
- Mary Gaylor: “Penrith should be WiFi-free zone, not have free WiFi” (Cumberland & Westmorland Herald, July 6th 2015)
- NACST: "Wired Internet For Kids" ("Ode to First Lady Melania Trump", May 7 2017, 2 min.)
- Prof. Martin Pall: "Wi-Fi as a Very Substantial Threat to Human Health" (2017)
- Rodney Palmer: "Presentation to the Royal Society of Canada on Safety Code 6" (2013). "Two children dropped dead since WiFi was introduced."
- Susan Patterson: "Your WiFi Could Be Harming Your Health" (The Alternative Daily, April 16 2017)
- SafeSchools: "WiFi in schools proven dangerous" (2010)
- Sara Malm: "Does YOUR toddler play on an iPad? Taiwan makes it ILLEGAL for parents to let children under two use electronic gadgets... and under-18s must limit use to 'reasonable' lengths" (Daily Mail, January 28th 2015)
- Sarah Swain: "Parents remove children from school, saying Wi-Fi networks are making them sick" (Daily Telegraph, April 2nd 2015, about the Spencer children, 5, 8 and 15, in Australia, sick with depression, anxiety and headaches)
- Scott O'Connell: "Worcester school officials weigh risks of Wi-Fi signals" (Telegram & Gazette, MA, December 10 2016)
- "Turn It Off 4 Kids Initiative" (National Association for Children and Safe Technology (NACST), 2016)
- Zoe Kleinman: "'Pregnancy wi-fi' router causes controversy in China" (BBC News. 2015)
- Florence Waters: "Is Wi-Fi making your child ill?" (Daily Telegraph, May 9 2015, about 9-year-old Jessica Lewis in England who in 2011 started to get headaches, excessive tiredness and rashes from a school Wi-Fi system and since then has had to be home-educated)
WiFi (and cellphone) radiation in Kindergartens exceeds EHS safety limits:
- Measurements, both environmental and personal, for 10 children and 20 kindergartens in Melbourne, Australia, over 16 frequency bands 88 MHz-5.8 GHz, exceeded safety limits (EUROPAEM 2016) for sensitive or EHS people :
- median environmental exposure = 0.179 V/m
- median personal exposure = 0.081 mV/m
Safety limits (EUROPAEM 2016, V/m) for sensitive (EHS) people:
- for GSM/UMTS: = 0.019 mV/m
- for WiFi 2.45GHz/DAB: = 0.06 mV/m
(Bhatt CR et al, 2016).
Simple ways to reduce or eliminate WiFi radiation:
- Only switch on your WiFi when you need it.
- Always switch off your WiFi at night.
- Use a WiFi router with reduced radiation.
- Replace WiFi with a safer system, as below.
Simple ways to make your life safer:
Replace WiFi with wired Ethernet cables and a non-WiFi router
Cabled networks: for a small office or apartment it is easy to lay cables to connect a non-wireless Router with internet devices.
Restricting WiFi in towns
Rob Horgan “British expat launches appeal to unplug WiFi in her town” (The Olive Press, December 9 2016)
Replace cordless phones
Remove your cordless phone. Replace it with a landline wired phone. Cordless phones give off high levels of radiation and are as dangerous as cellphones and wireless laptops or tablets.
Bluetooth, like WiFi and all other radio frequency radiation, is a known neurological agent and 2B cancer agent. Although less powerful than some cellphone transmitters and some WiFi modems and transmitters, its signals still cause health damage with their pulsed microwaves. It should be removed or replaced with wired cables.
dLAN plugs - for wired powerline networks
For a medium sized house it is easy to use dLAN plugs on the house wiring circuit to allow each device its own wired access to the internet. These devices produce dirty electricity and radio waves along the wiring power circuit, but the radiation is much less invasive than WiFi and less biologically active if you sit or sleep a good distance from the wiring. It is best to switch off the main plugs and Router at night.
The practical advantages of dLAN plugs are speed and security.
Wired internet for iPads
Some devices, such as iPads, do not have an access point for wired internet connections. Wired connections can usually devised.
LiFi - communication by light
LiFi, or Light Fidelity, communicates via signals within the lighting, using LED lights. It has not yet been tested for biological effects, but it avoids the cancer and neurological damage from radio waves in WiFi.
Further information on WiFi and health:
Doctors against WiFi:
Teacher Unions against WiFi:
Government bans and restrictions on WiFi and cellphones:
See also: Legal
Some governments, councils and regulators have banned or restricted WiFi and cellphones in schools and for young people for health reasons, requiring cabled or wired internet connections instead. These include:
a bill requiring wired internet connections in schools and hospitals (2016)
a school had to replace WiFi with wired internet connections where there was a child disabled by EHS (2015);
an employee intolerant of WiFi was awarded compensation after an employer failed to protect him exposure to wireless radiation (2013)
Disability Legislation: EHS is recognized as an environmental sensitivity requiring worker accommodation (2007);
House of Commons: Report of the Standing Committee on Health: Recommendation 5: That the Government continue to provide reasonable accommodations for environmental sensitivities, including EHS, as required under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
non-thermal safety limits, such as 0.01 microW/m2 for sensitive people including children with EHS, prohibit WiFi (2016)
- European Council:
proposed all member states ban wireless radiation in schools (2013)
Olli Tammilehto: "Parents had Wifi switches installed in a Finnish school" (March 24 2017)
a ban on WiFi and cellphones in all nurseries and restrictions in primary schools (2015);
a worker intolerant of WiFi and similar radiation was awarded financial compensation (2015)
Various states: warnings against WiFi (2007)
Haifa schools: WiFi removed (2016);
Ministry of Education: stop the installation of WiFi in schools prior to the first grade and limit WiFi between first and third grades; teachers must turn off cellphones and WiFi routers when not in use (2013); bans cellphones and limits WiFi in class (2016)
Borgofranco d'Ivrea: banned WiFi in two schools (2016)
The high court in Madrid: recognized intolerance to WiFi and EHS as a permanent disability and awarded financial compensation (2016)
intolerance of WiFi recognized as a disabling impairment and the state provides for persons with this impairment (2000)
The Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation (RNCIRP): officially recommended that Wi-Fi not be used in schools (2012)
WiFi illegal for chidren under 2 years of age, and wireless use must be reasonable for all children under 18 years of age (2015)
EMF Regulations 2016 HSE Guide: employers should make a risk assessment and take special consideration of employees at particular risk such as pregnant women where WiFi and Bluetooth etc. are listed as possible health hazards (2016);
Employment and Social Support Allowance: granted under the Social Entitlement Chamber, ESA Regulation 29, Exceptional Circumstances, 2b, where the EHS claimant would have been able to lead a normal life with little or no functional impairment anywhere where there was no WiFi, cellphones or cellphone towers (2012);
Trades Unions Congress: carcinogens, including class 2B, should not be used in the workplace where possible and should be removed completely (2012);
UK Chief Medical Officers: advise that children and young people under 16 should be encouraged to use cellphones for essential purposes only, and to keep calls short (2011)
Job Accommodation Network (JAN), the US Department of Labor, the Office for Disability Employment Poiicy (ODEP): suggested accommodation for workers with EHS intolerance symptoms: Relocate workplace away from areas where symptoms are triggered. This may include limiting certain types of devices in the vicinity of the employee's workstation; Provide wired telephones and network connections, etc. (2016);
Los Angeles Unified Schools Board: provided WiFi-free work accommodation for a teacher made intolerant of WiFi by EHS (2014)
- World Health Organization (WHO): IARC:
WiFi (2.45 GHz, 5 GHz carrier frequency) is a class 2B carcinogen (2011)
WiFi (10 Hz pulse) is a class 2B carcinogen (2001)
- World Health Organization (WHO): ICNIRP:
Vulnerable sections of the general population need non-thermal safety limits. (2002)
"Certain sensitive individuals" need non-thermal safety limits. (2002)
Some normal individuals exposed concurrently to two agents need non-thermal limits. (2002)
Some science on the known adverse health effects of WiFi:
to: WiFi in schools - links to websites