Smart Meter Protection
back to: Practical Advice
Smart Meters dangers
There are five particular dangers from Smart Meter radiation:
Smart Meter radiation:
- can be at very high levels, even if transmitting for only a short duration.
- can be close to living and sleeping areas.
- is from the same place each time, making it extra dangerous at night when people are asleep.
- can form mesh or grid networks with other meters and even appliances in the property, causing much higher levels of radiation in some properties.
- for condominiums, apartments and blocks of flats, banks of meters can give off almost constant radiation at very high levels.
Because of the very high spikes from most Smart Meter radiation, it is particularly active biologically, with repetition especially at night making it worse. On top of existing radiation, such as from cellphone towers, digital radio and TV, and neighbors' WiFi, this is medically harmful especially to people very sensitive to it.
Smart meters are not only dangerous because of their microwave emissions. They also put 'dirty' electricity and thus very low frequency waves back onto the power cables, thus polluting the house or condominium within perhaps 2 meters of all power cables.
Fiber optic cables are the obvious safe preference to dangerous smart meter radiation.
Information on the established health dangers of wireless Smart Meters:
- "The Board of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine opposes the installation of wireless 'smart meters' in homes and schools based on a scientific assessment of the current medical literature.
"Chronic exposure to wireless radiofrequency radiation is a preventable environmental hazard that is sufficiently well documented to warrant immediate preventative public health action.
"Existing FCC guidelines for RF safety that have been used to justify installation of 'smart meters' only look at thermal tissue damage and are obsolete, since many modern studies show metabolic and genomic damage from RF and ELF below the level of intensity which heats tissues. The FCC guidelines are therefore inadequate for use in establishing public health standards. ...
"These effects accumulate over time, which is an important consideration given the chronic nature of exposure to 'smart meters'. The current medical literature raises credible questions about genetic and cellular effects, hormonal effects, male fertility, blood / brain barrier damage, and increased risks of certain types of cancers from RF and ELF levels similar to those emitted by 'smart meters'. Children are placed at particular risk for altered brain development and impaired learning and behavior."
"On the proposed decision of Commissioner Peevy, Public Utilities Commission, State of California", American Academy of Environmental Medicine, January 19 2012
- Don Maisch: "Tasmania’s new electricity smart metering roll-out: Why opting out may be your wisest, and healthiest choice" (July 11 2018)
- "'Smart meters' should be abolished because they use short high-intensity pulses of microwave radiation. We know from the nanosecond studies these can be very damaging and act via VGCC [calcium channel] activation [his research] with activation continuing long after the pulse has ceased. It has been known for over 30 years that short microwave pulses can cause massive cellular damage (57). Until we have some biological measures of “smart meter” effects, it is foolhardy in my view to continue using them."
(Professor Martin Pall: "Microwave Electromagnetic Fields Act by Activating Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels: Why the Current International Safety Standards Do Not Predict Biological Hazard" 2013)
- Lynne Wycherley: "Smart meters and cell damage from pulsed EM radiation - our health at risk?" (The Ecologist, 2017)
- Lynne Wycherley: "Smart meter radiation and health - why are we neglecting non-toxic alternatives?" (The Ecologist, 2017)
- Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt: "'Smart Meters' & EMR: The Health Crisis Of Our Time" (Take Back Your Power, 2012; 43 min.)
- "Dangers of Smart Meters - Part 1 of 2" (The Meter Man, 2015, 20 min.)
- "Customer's electricity shut off because he refuses a Smart Meter - Part 2 of 2" (The Meter Man, 2015, 10 min.)
- "Electric Smart Meters, Tel Aviv, Israel" (NoRadBlog, 2015, 1 min, showing high radiation levels)
- "Live Blood Analysis - Observable Effects of RF/MW Radiation via Smart Meters" (2013, 2 min.)
- "Protect Yourself From Digital Utility Meters" (2012, 10 min.)
- Smart meters and electrosensitvity symptoms (Fox News, 2012, 7 min.)
- "Smart Metering Risks" (BEMRI, 2016)
- Smart Meter Info: "Missouri Smart Meter Injury" (215, 4 min.)
- Rob States: "The Dark Side of 'Smart' Meters" (2010, 32 min.)
- Stop Smart Meters UK: "Smart Meter RF Radiation Measurement" (Stop Smart Meters UK, 2016, 1 minute)
- "The Dangers of Smart Meters" (EMFSafety Network, 2010, 32 min.)
- "The Smart Meter Catastrophe" (Ron Johnson, 2016, 9 min.)
- Warren Woodward: "Nerve Disrupting Frequencies Radiating from "Smart" Meters" (2016, 16 min.)
- Warren Woodward: "EKG Proof That "Smart" Meters Affect the Human Heart" (2017, 7 min.)
- Warren Woodward: "EKG Proof That "Smart" Meters Affect the Human Heart, Part II" (2017, 21 min.)
- Satirical look at the downside of 'smart' meters: "Smart Attack!" (Infomatic Films, 2017, 4 min.)
Measuring radiation from smart meters:
Rejection of Smart Meters
New Mexico, USA:
"The conditions of the portion of the population who believe they are electromagnetically sensitive deserve acknowledgment and consideration as decisions are made regarding the implementation of an AMI Project."
Removal of Smart Meters
Legal action against Smart Meters
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine: "Wireless Smart Meter Case Studies" (2013)
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine: "To City of Toronto Council" (November 14 2013)
- Bathgate, William: "The Meter Itself is the “Hazardous Condition”" (2016)
- BEMRI: "Smart Metering Risks" (2016)
- Jonathan Benson: "Radiation emitted from smart meters 100 times greater than cell phones – and exposure is constant, doctors warn" (Tap News Wire, July 7 2016)
- Mary Beth Brangan and James Heddle: "New Critical Problem with 'Smart' Meters: The Switching-Mode Power Supply (SMPS)" (eon3emfblog, March 30 2011)
- Carpenter D: "Expert Report: The State of Scientific Research as to whether Advanced Meters transmitting by Radiofrequencies as proposed in the present case, may constitute a risk of serious or irreversible Damage to Health" (2011)
- Richard Conrad & Ed Friedman: "Smart Meter Health Effects Survey: Results, Analysis and Report" (Maine, Exhibit D, 124 pages, 2012, on 210 respondents harmed by wireless smart meters)
- County of Santa Cruz: "Smart Meter Moratorium" (2012)
- Dart P et al.: "Biological and Health Effects of Microwave Radio Frequency Transmissions" (2013)
- Erin Elizabeth: “Smart Meters causing tidal wave of mysterious illnesses that strike people in their own homes” (Health Nut News, October 13 2017)
- EMF Safety Network: "Smart Meter Health Complaints"
- André Fauteux: "Smart Meters: Correcting the Gross Misinformation" (La Maison du 21e Siècle, June 11 2012)
- André Fauteux: "Municipal fiber optic networks are the future, home automation expert says" (La Maison du 21e Siecle, May 25 2017)
- Catherine Frompovich: "Confirmed Health Harms from Microwaves In Smart Meters And Other Smart Devices" (Activist Post, November 10 2017)
- Goldsworthy A: "How Smart Meters May Cause Autism and Cancer" (2011)
- Ed Halteman: "Wireless Utility Impacts Survey: Final Results Summary" (September 13 2011)
- Hart J: "Pre-Filed Testimony" (MPUC Docket No. 2011-00262, Maine Supreme Court, 2013, containing 21 cases mainly of the health effects on people affected by the radiation from smart meters)
- Hirsch D: "Comments on the Draft Report by the California Council on Science and Technology 'Health Impacts of Radio Frequency from Smart Meters'" (2011)
- (Daniel Hirsch) "Smart Meters Radiation Exposure Up to 160 Times More Than Cell Phones" (Center for Electrosmog Prevention)
- Jamieson I: "Smart Meters, Smarter Practices: Part 1", "Smart Meters, Smarter Practices: Part 2" (2011)
- Johnson, Jeromy: "Do You Have a “Smart” Meter?" (2016)
- Lamech F: "Self-reporting of symptom development from exposure to radiofrequency fields of wireless smart meters in Victoria, Australia: a case series" (2014)
- Maisch DR: "A critique of the New Zealand Report: 'Health and Safety Aspects of Electricity Smart Meters'" (2014)
- Maish DR: "Advanced Metering Infrastructure or The Smart Electricity Grid: Unintended consequences of smart meter placement" (2016)
- Marino AA: "Expert Report" (before the Pennsylvania Utility Commission, 2016, 81 pages)
- Namkung PS: "Health Risks Associated With SmartMeters" (Memorandum, Health Officer Public Health Division, Santa Cruz: Annex B, 2012)
- Powell RM: "Biological Effects from RF Radiation at Low-Intensity Exposure, based on the BioInitiative 2012 Report, and the Implications for Smart Meters and Smart Appliances" (2013)
- Powell RM: "Symptoms after Exposure to Smart Meter Radiation" (2015)
- Sage Associates: "Assessment of Radiofrequency Microwave Radiation Emissions from Smart Meters", Tables (2011)
- Stop Smart Meters!: "Written Evidence" (Energy and Climate Change Committee, 2013)
- Warren Woodward: "Nerve Disrupting Frequencies Radiating from "Smart" Meters" (2016, 16 min.)
Comments on Smart Meters
Protection from Smart Meters
This is important for everyone, and especially for people sensitive to radiation.
1. Retain a meter without radiation
Most utility companies now accept that some people are made ill by radiation from Smart Meters.
You should be able to request to retain, or change to, an 'analogue' meter. This is the old type of meter which does not send any radio signals.
Equality and disability legislation
Some countries and some states within the USA have stated that customers have the right to meters without any radiation signals and utility companies cannot insist on Smart Meters with radiation (e.g. in England the government Energy Minister announced this on November 29 2011; report).
No extra charges
Under equality and disability legislation it is now normal for customers not to be charged extra for keeping existing meters or changing to analogue meters for health reasons. You should check with your utility company and the utility commission for the current provisions in your state or country. If there are difficulties see the Legal pages for some of the people who have confirmed their equality and disability rights in this area.
Customers' own meters
Some countries or states allow customers to fit their own meter which does not emit radiation. Usually this has to be done by a qualified electrician using approved appliances. If the existing meter is owned by the utility company, even if it is on private property, it will need to be returned to the owner.
2. Meters which send information by cable
Some countries have realised the health dangers of radiation from meters. They therefore use wired links, either on power cables or on data cables, to send information from the meter.
3. Protection from radiation
Some customers have reduced their exposure to Smart Meter radiation by protective covers and shields. The radiation being screened, of course, has been classified since 2011 as a 2B carcinogen by the World Health Organization, It is therefore reasonable for citizens to protect the health of their children and themselves by shielding them from a toxic agent, especially when the customer concerned has not requested this toxin on their premises. Doctors advise especially on the need for sleeping areas to be free from carcinogenic radiation which also has known neurological effects.
The key areas to protect are the property behind the meter and the property's sleeping and living areas. It is essential to use a measuring device to check the radiation levels before and after any protection is fitted. The protective cover may need to be earthed or checked so that it does not send radiation along adjacent wiring or metal pipes. In addition, some people screen on the outside of the meter, to reduce radiation around the outside of the property. It is again essential to use a measuring device to ensure that this does not increase radiation back into the property. It is also essential to ensure that the utility company can take readings, so it needs to reduce the signal mostly but not completely.
- "EMF Radiation Blocked! Smart Meter EMF Radiation Protection" (SmartMeterGuard, 2013, 5 min.)
- "Foiling a "Smart" Meter, Part Two: Aluminum Mesh Screening" (ThisIrradiatedLife, 2011, 4 min.)
- "Harvard Medical Doctor Warns Against Smart Meters" (The Healthy Home Economist, July 22 2018)
- "How to Make A Smart Meter Cover" (Q Factor Videos, 2014, 14 min.)
- "The Cheapest Way of Screening a RF Transmitting Smart AMI AMR Utility Meter" (Environmental Radiation LLC, 2014, 3 min.)
4. Protection from other people's Smart Meters
If your property is directly between another property's Smart Meter and its receiving tower base, or mesh or network base, then your property may be irradiated at high levels from external sources. At present few countries have introduced the legislation necessary to deal with such infringements of personal rights and property rights, so protection may be the only option. This should be at the expense of the polluter.
5. Legal right to refuse Opt-Out Contracts
- You have Right of Contract. There is no contract if you were coerced into signing. Only you can decide whether to sign or not. If you choose to refuse and not to sign, that is sufficient.
- Therefore Opt-Out Contracts do nothing except transfer all the power and advantages to the other party. Never sign any Opt-Out Contract for any reason. You have the right to refuse any contract.
- If you do want to sign a contract, require that the utility provider chief executive personally signs for responsibility for all negative consequences of installing a radiation smart-meter.
Jerry Day: "How to say no to vaccinations and smart meters" (2016, 14 mins)
"So when you refuse to allow the pirate to rob you, the pirate hands you an opt-out contract where you agree to pay him for not robbing you. It’s pretty ludicrous. Your refusal is the opt-out. Opt-out contracts do nothing for you."
- England: Consumer Council for Water: "Electromagnetic sensitivity and Smart Water Meters":
"There is currently no government directive for water companies to roll out smart water meters, as has happened in the energy sector. Defra state that it is a matter for the water company to decide how to deal with objections to the installation of water meters on medical grounds. Each water company will therefore have its own policy in this area. The Consumer Council for Water expects water companies to take any customer concerns seriously and to deal with them sensitively."
6. Smart meters not required
The European Union has decided that Smart Meters are no longer required.
7. Fibre optic cables or Power Line Communications (PLC) instead of wireless radiation
Because of the health problems of wireless radiation, some countries use wired systems for reporting data, such as fibre optic cables or Power Line Communications (PLC). Wired PLC is used instead of wireless in Italy, largely in Sweden, and in some trials in Germany.
8. Smart meter companies bullying customers
Smart Meter Safety Distances
Smart Meters are required to comply with existing safety standards.
An example, requiring no other wireless devices in the vicinity and a safety distance of at least 20 cm from all people:
"The 3G S4e Gridstream Endpoint Module and the Landis+Gyr S4e Meter
FCC Compliance Information
Landis+Gyr Confidential Information
98-9103 Rev AA
3G S4e Gridstream Endpoint with ZigBee Data Sheet
Compliance Statement (Part 15.19)
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
1. This device may not cause harmful interference, and
2. This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Changes or modifications not expressly approved by Landis+Gyr could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
Endpoint Location To comply with FCC’s RF exposure limits for general population/uncontrolled exposure, the antenna(e) used for this transmitter must be installed to provide a separation distance of at least 20 cm from all persons and must not be collocated or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter."
(Landis Gyr Technologies HUNTSU825 3G S4e Gridstream User Manual 98 9103)
UK government aware of health risk from smart meters
Invalid defence of wireless smart meters by ICNIRP and England's PHE:
Regulators, like England's Public Health England following the ICNIRP, claim wrongly that smart meters are safe but make no reference to biological guidelines and health studies:
1. Public Health England's Dr Azadeh Peyman, in an advert paid for by the smart meter industry:
- "The evidence to date suggests exposures to the radio waves produced by smart meters do not pose a risk to our health … we advise that the exposure to radio waves from smart meters is well below the guidelines set by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) Exposure to radio waves does not provide a basis to decline having a smart meter."
"Smart meters on trial: how safe are they and how will they affect my bills?" (Sponsored by SMART ENERGY GB, Express, May 17 2018)
Dr Peyman's research has shown that children absorb more radiation than adults because of the higher water content in children's bones. This results in about a ten times higher dialectric conductivity than for adults and therefore a much higher absorption rate. She has not, so far, highlighted this serious risk through Public Health England or ICNIRP. It has been suggested that the reason was her significant conflicts of interest, in that her MTHR research was financed by the wireless industry and government.
See: "Children and Cell Phones: Time To Start Talking Sense" (Microwave News, July 10 2015)
2. Public Health England's Dr Azadeh Peyman, comparing levels with heating limits, not biological limits:
- “The maximum equivalent power density measured during transmission around smart meter devices at 0.5 m and beyond was 15 mW/m2, with an estimation of maximum duty factor of only 1%. One outlier device had a maximum power density of 91 mW/m2.”
Peyman A et al.: “Exposure to electromagnetic fields from smart utility meters in GB; part I) laboratory measurements” 2017.
3. Health effects from smart meters:
- “The most frequently reported symptoms from exposure to smart meters were (1) insomnia, (2) headaches, (3) tinnitus, (4) fatigue, (5) cognitive disturbances, (6) dysesthesias (abnormal sensation), and (7) dizziness. The effects of these symptoms on people's lives were significant. Review of some key studies, both recent and old (1971), reveals that the participants' symptoms were the same as those reported by people exposed to radiofrequency fields emitted by devices other than smart meters. Interestingly, the vast majority of Victorian cases did not state that they had been sufferers of electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome (EHS) prior to exposure to the wireless meters, which points to the possibility that smart meters may have unique characteristics that lower people's threshold for symptom development.”
Lamech F: “Self-reporting of symptom development from exposure to radiofrequency fields of wireless smart meters in Victoria, Australia: a case series” 2014.
4. International Safety Guidelines:
- Readings: PHE smart meter maximum (at 0.5m = 20 inches): 15 mW/m2 = 15,200 µW/m2.
- ICNIRP heating guidelines (one degree rise over 6 minutes): 9,200 mW/m2 = 9,200,000 µW/m2.
- International Biological Guidelines (Bioinitiative 2012): 0.006 mW/m2 = 6 µW/m2.
- PHE’s own measurements show that smart meters emit wireless radiation at levels far above international biological safety guidelines. Therefore PHE’s reassurance about the imagined safety of smart meters is invalid and dangerous for the health of the general population. This is confirmed by the only study on health effects of smart meters, which showed the specific symptoms caused by wireless radiation of insomnia, headaches, tinnitus, fatigue, cognitive disturbances, dysesthesias (abnormal sensation), and dizziness.
- Wireless smart meters should be banned immediately, unless they can be made to comply with the international biological safety limits.
Smart Meter Groups
See Links for many national and local Smart Meter groups concerned about the health damage from Smart Meter radiation. Some have letter formats available, giving legal rights against the imposition of radiation Smart Meters, along with other useful help and advice.
Smart Meter costs