Smart Meter Protection
back to: Practical Advice
Smart Meters dangers
There are five particular dangers from Smart Meter radiation:
Smart Meter radiation:
- can be at very high levels, even if transmitting for only a short duration.
- can be close to living and sleeping areas.
- is from the same place each time, making it extra dangerous at night when people are asleep.
- can form mesh or grid networks with other meters and even appliances in the property, causing much higher levels of radiation in some properties.
- for condominiums, apartments and blocks of flats, banks of meters can give off almost constant radiation at very high levels.
Because of the very high spikes from most Smart Meter radiation, it is particularly active biologically, with repetition especially at night making it worse. On top of existing radiation, such as from cellphone towers, digital radio and TV, and neighbors' WiFi, this is medically harmful especially to people very sensitive to it.
Smart meters are not only dangerous because of their microwave emissions. They also put 'dirty' electricity and thus very low frequency waves back onto the power cables, thus polluting the house or condominium within perhaps 2 meters of all power cables.
Fiber optic cables are the obvious safe preference to dangerous smart meter radiation.
Information on the established health dangers of wireless Smart Meters:
- "The Board of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine opposes the installation of wireless 'smart meters' in homes and schools based on a scientific assessment of the current medical literature.
"Chronic exposure to wireless radiofrequency radiation is a preventable environmental hazard that is sufficiently well documented to warrant immediate preventative public health action.
"Existing FCC guidelines for RF safety that have been used to justify installation of 'smart meters' only look at thermal tissue damage and are obsolete, since many modern studies show metabolic and genomic damage from RF and ELF below the level of intensity which heats tissues. The FCC guidelines are therefore inadequate for use in establishing public health standards. ...
"These effects accumulate over time, which is an important consideration given the chronic nature of exposure to 'smart meters'. The current medical literature raises credible questions about genetic and cellular effects, hormonal effects, male fertility, blood / brain barrier damage, and increased risks of certain types of cancers from RF and ELF levels similar to those emitted by 'smart meters'. Children are placed at particular risk for altered brain development and impaired learning and behavior."
"On the proposed decision of Commissioner Peevy, Public Utilities Commission, State of California", American Academy of Environmental Medicine, January 19 2012
- "'Smart meters' should be abolished because they use short high-intensity pulses of microwave radiation. We know from the nanosecond studies these can be very damaging and act via VGCC [calcium channel] activation [his research] with activation continuing long after the pulse has ceased. It has been known for over 30 years that short microwave pulses can cause massive cellular damage (57). Until we have some biological measures of “smart meter” effects, it is foolhardy in my view to continue using them."
(Professor Martin Pall: "Microwave Electromagnetic Fields Act by Activating Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels: Why the Current International Safety Standards Do Not Predict Biological Hazard" 2013)
- Lynne Wycherley: "Smart meters and cell damage from pulsed EM radiation - our health at risk?" (The Ecologist, 2017)
- Lynne Wycherley: "Smart meter radiation and health - why are we neglecting non-toxic alternatives?" (The Ecologist, 2017)
- Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt: "'Smart Meters' & EMR: The Health Crisis Of Our Time" (Take Back Your Power, 2012; 43 min.)
- "Electric Smart Meters, Tel Aviv, Israel" (NoRadBlog, 2015, 1 min, showing high radiation levels)
- "Live Blood Analysis - Observable Effects of RF/MW Radiation via Smart Meters" (2013, 2 min.)
- "Protect Yourself From Digital Utility Meters" (2012, 10 min.)
- Smart meters and electrosensitvity symptoms (Fox News, 2012, 7 min.)
- "Smart Metering Risks" (BEMRI, 2016)
- "The Dangers of Smart Meters" (EMFSafety Network, 2010, 32 min.)
- Warren Woodward: "Nerve Disrupting Frequencies Radiating from "Smart" Meters" (2016, 16 min.)
- Warren Woodward: "EKG Proof That "Smart" Meters Affect the Human Heart" (2017, 7 min.)
- Warren Woodward: "EKG Proof That "Smart" Meters Affect the Human Heart, Part II" (2017, 21 min.)
Removal of Smart Meter
Legal action against Smart Meters
- Bathgate, William: "The Meter Itself is the “Hazardous Condition”" (2016)
- BEMRI: "Smart Metering Risks" (2016)
- Carpenter D: "Expert Report: The State of Scientific Research as to whether Advanced Meters transmitting by Radiofrequencies as proposed in the present case, may constitute a risk of serious or irreversible Damage to Health" (2011)
- Richard Conrad & Ed Friedman: "Smart Meter Health Effects Survey: Results, Analysis and Report" (Maine, Exhibit D, 124 pages, 2012, on 210 respondents harmed by wireless smart meters)
- County of Santa Cruz: "Smart Meter Moratorium" (2012)
- Dart P et al.: "Biological and Health Effects of Microwave Radio Frequency Transmissions" (2013)
- André Fauteux: "Smart Meters: Correcting the Gross Misinformation" (La Maison du 21e Siècle, June 11 2012)
- André Fauteux: "Municipal fiber optic networks are the future, home automation expert says" (La Maison du 21e Siecle, May 25 2017)
- Goldsworthy A: "How Smart Meters May Cause Autism and Cancer" (2011)
- Hart J: "Pre-Filed Testimony" (MPUC Docket No. 2011-00262, Maine Supreme Court, 2013, containing 21 cases mainly of the health effects on people affected by the radiation from smart meters)
- Hirsch D: "Comments on the Draft Report by the California Council on Science and Technology 'Health Impacts of Radio Frequency from Smart Meters'" (2011)
- Jamieson I: "Smart Meters, Smarter Practices: Part 1", "Smart Meters, Smarter Practices: Part 2" (2011)
- Johnson, Jeromy: "Do You Have a “Smart” Meter?" (2016)
- Lamech F: "Self-reporting of symptom development from exposure to radiofrequency fields of wireless smart meters in Victoria, Australia: a case series" (2014)
- Maisch DR: "A critique of the New Zealand Report: 'Health and Safety Aspects of Electricity Smart Meters'" (2014)
- Maish DR: "Advanced Metering Infrastructure or The Smart Electricity Grid: Unintended consequences of smart meter placement" (2016)
- Marino AA: "Expert Report" (before the Pennsylvania Utility Commission, 2016, 81 pages)
- Namkung PS: "Health Risks Associated With SmartMeters" (Memorandum, Health Officer Public Health Division, Santa Cruz: Annex B, 2012)
- Powell RM: "Biological Effects from RF Radiation at Low-Intensity Exposure, based on the BioInitiative 2012 Report, and the Implications for Smart Meters and Smart Appliances" (2013)
- Powell RM: "Symptoms after Exposure to Smart Meter Radiation" (2015)
- Sage Associates: "Assessment of Radiofrequency Microwave Radiation Emissions from Smart Meters", Tables (2011)
- Warren Woodward: "Nerve Disrupting Frequencies Radiating from "Smart" Meters" (2016, 16 min.)
Protection from Smart Meters
This is important for everyone, and especially for people sensitive to radiation.
1. Retain a meter without radiation
Most utility companies now accept that some people are made ill by radiation from Smart Meters.
You should be able to request to retain, or change to, an 'analogue' meter. This is the old type of meter which does not send any radio signals.
Equality and disability legislation
Some countries and some states within the USA have stated that customers have the right to meters without any radiation signals and utility companies cannot insist on Smart Meters with radiation (e.g. in England the government Energy Minister announced this on November 29 2011; report).
No extra charges
Under equality and disability legislation it is now normal for customers not to be charged extra for keeping existing meters or changing to analogue meters for health reasons. You should check with your utility company and the utility commission for the current provisions in your state or country. If there are difficulties see the Legal pages for some of the people who have confirmed their equality and disability rights in this area.
Customers' own meters
Some countries or states allow customers to fit their own meter which does not emit radiation. Usually this has to be done by a qualified electrician using approved appliances. If the existing meter is owned by the utility company, even if it is on private property, it will need to be returned to the owner.
2. Meters which send information by cable
Some countries have realised the health dangers of radiation from meters. They therefore use wired links, either on power cables or on data cables, to send information from the meter.
3. Protection from radiation
Some customers have reduced their exposure to Smart Meter radiation by protective covers and shields. The radiation being screened, of course, has been classified since 2011 as a 2B carcinogen by the World Health Organization, It is therefore reasonable for citizens to protect the health of their children and themselves by shielding them from a toxic agent, especially when the customer concerned has not requested this toxin on their premises. Doctors advise especially on the need for sleeping areas to be free from carcinogenic radiation which also has known neurological effects.
The key areas to protect are the property behind the meter and the property's sleeping and living areas. It is essential to use a measuring device to check the radiation levels before and after any protection is fitted. The protective cover may need to be earthed or checked so that it does not send radiation along adjacent wiring or metal pipes. In addition, some people screen on the outside of the meter, to reduce radiation around the outside of the property. It is again essential to use a measuring device to ensure that this does not increase radiation back into the property. It is also essential to ensure that the utility company can take readings, so it needs to reduce the signal mostly but not completely.
4. Protection from other people's Smart Meters
If your property is directly between another property's Smart Meter and its receiving tower base, or mesh or network base, then your property may be irradiated at high levels from external sources. At present few countries have introduced the legislation necessary to deal with such infringements of personal rights and property rights, so protection may be the only option. This should be at the expense of the polluter.
5. Legal right to refuse Opt-Out Contracts
- You have Right of Contract. There is no contract if you were coerced into signing. Only you can decide whether to sign or not. If you choose to refuse and not to sign, that is sufficient.
- Therefore Opt-Out Contracts do nothing except transfer all the power and advantages to the other party. Never sign any Opt-Out Contract for any reason. You have the right to refuse any contract.
- If you do want to sign a contract, require that the utility provider chief executive personally signs for responsibility for all negative consequences of installing a radiation smart-meter.
Jerry Day: "How to say no to vaccinations and smart meters" (2016, 14 mins)
"So when you refuse to allow the pirate to rob you, the pirate hands you an opt-out contract where you agree to pay him for not robbing you. It’s pretty ludicrous. Your refusal is the opt-out. Opt-out contracts do nothing for you."
- England: Consumer Council for Water: "Electromagnetic sensitivity and Smart Water Meters":
"There is currently no government directive for water companies to roll out smart water meters, as has happened in the energy sector. Defra state that it is a matter for the water company to decide how to deal with objections to the installation of water meters on medical grounds. Each water company will therefore have its own policy in this area. The Consumer Council for Water expects water companies to take any customer concerns seriously and to deal with them sensitively."
6. Smart meters not required
The European Union has decided that Smart Meters are no longer required.
7. Fibre optic cables or Power Line Communications (PLC) instead of wireless radiation
Because of the health problems of wireless radiation, some countries use wired systems for reporting data, such as fibre optic cables or Power Line Communications (PLC). Wired PLC is used instead of wireless in Italy, largely in Sweden, and in some trials in Germany.
Smart Meter Groups
See Links for many national and local Smart Meter groups concerned about the health damage from Smart Meter radiation. Some have letter formats available, giving legal rights against the imposition of radiation Smart Meters, along with other useful help and advice.